For Ukrainian, Russian and Belarusian students

    On this page you can find useful information and resources. If you are in need of financial help and or you need mental support due to the ongoing situation, take a look at this page.

    Questions and Answers

    In October 2022 the European Temporary Protection Directive was extended by a year, until 4 March 2024. This only applies to Ukrainians and third-country nationals with a permanent residence permit or asylum residence permit in Ukraine. The extension does not apply to third-country nationals with a temporary residence permit in Ukraine. The IND will send everyone a letter about the consequences of this before 4 March 2023. For more information, check here: Proof of residency for Ukrainians automatically extended | IND

    As a third-country national with a temporary residence permit in Ukraine, you will or have already received a letter from the Dutch Immigration Office (IND). This letter states that your temporary protection will be extended until 4 September 2023. It also explains what you need to do to collect a new card (O-document) and that the Dutch Immigration Office will initiate your asylum procedure. For more information, check here: Temporary protection for third country nationals from Ukraine will continue until 4 September 2023 | IND

    You temporarily do not need to collect your MVV from the Dutch embassy in Russia, if you meet these requirements:

    - You have received a positive decision on your MVV application.

    -You are in the Netherlands on a short-stay visa.

     For more information, check here: Collecting MVV temporarily changed due to situation Russia | IND

    As soon as you receive a special protection within EU, you will be able to apply for a Dutch payment account. Each bank or other payment account provider will state on its own website the specific conditions and guidelines they apply for issuing a payment account. For more information, check here: Ukraine - Dutch Payments Association (

    Ukrainians are not EU citizens and should not be seen as such. Ukrainians will receive a letter from the IND explaining how they will renew their sticker or pass.
    They are eligible to pay the statutory tuition fee. At least  for the period ​ 1-2-23 till 31-8-23. For the new academic year 2023/2024 the decision will be  made shortly. Find more information about this topic here. 

    Refugees who fall under the Directive on Temporary Protection Ukraine may do paid work in the Netherlands without a work permit (officially: work permit or TWV). For more information, click here.


     [LY(1]Even wachten, misschien bij Joanne haar deel

    People who wish to apply for asylum are always free to do so. More information can be found on There is no explicit role for the universities of applied sciences here.

    The municipality of Rotterdam offers refugees from Ukraine a place to meet each other and talk to each other. Refugees can visit this so-called 'Ukrainian House' at Pleinweg 196A. More information can be found here.

    Everyone who comes under the Temporary Protection Directive can work in the Netherlands without a work permit (in Dutch: tewerkstellingsvergunning or twv). This means that an employer does not have to request a work permit for you. And that you can easily look for a job, if you want to. The work permit exemption applies to all work in employment. You will need an employment contract with an employer. You must also meet the following requirements:

    • You come under the Temporary Protection Directive. We advise you to register at the local council if you come under the directive. 
    • You have proof of residency showing that you are allowed to be in the Netherlands. As proof, you will receive a sticker or card from the IND.

    The requirements for the exemption also apply if want to work as a volunteer. The organisation where you want to work must then request a volunteer declaration from the UWV. You may also work as a trainee, when you, your employer and your school have signed a trainee contract. A twv is required if you want to work as a self-employed person.

    Starting on 1 April 2022, employers must notify the Employee Insurance Agency (in Dutch: UWV)  that they are employing someone.

    • is a website for Ukrainian refugees in the Netherlands and anyone who wants to volunteer and help. It is a platform initiated by various organisations (government, companies, social organisations and individuals).
    • Study in Holland - Situation in Ukraine. This website is from Nuffic and is a source of information for Ukrainian, Russian and Belarusian students who are currently studying/ want to study in Higher Education in the Netherlands
    • Ukraine - On this website, you can find practical information provided by the Rotterdam city hall.