My complaint

    Do you not agree with something? Not completely satisfied? There are a number of things you can do to start a dialogue, voice your discontent, perhaps come to a solution. You can always choose to lodge an official complaint.

    The nature of the complaint determines the method of communication. Read all about it on our Complaints page

    Need advice?

    Are you stuck or do you need advice? Visit the student counsellor. They can give advice, and provide information about options and steps to take. Filing a complaint is always your own responsibility and the communication about the complaint is private and limited  to you and the person or committee handling the complaint.