In August 2015, the Dutch Minister of Education, Culture and Science decided to introduce a system of uniform nomenclature (degree titles) for certain Higher Professional study programmes in the Netherlands effective as of 1 September 2015. This was done in order to align Dutch degree titles with degree titles awarded around the world to graduates who successfully complete a Bachelor or Master programme, such as a ‘Bachelor of Arts’ or ‘Bachelor of Science’. The decision was published in the Dutch Government Gazette (Staatscourant) on 28 August 2015.
The Minister also specified that anyone who, in any given year, successfully completed a Bachelor or Master programme that underwent a name change between 1 September 2014 and 31 August 2015, will be eligible to apply for a certificate showing the degree title under the new system. The updated certificate will be issued after handing in the certificate you already have, together with any academic transcripts still in your possession. The study programmes affected by the changes and their new degree titles can be found below.
In order to receive a new certificate, you will need to do the following:
- Get in touch with the designated contact of the School that runs your study programme before 31 August 2016. Please note: any applications received after that date will not be processed.
- Bachelor of Accountancy / Institute Financial Management
- Bachelor of Finance and Control / Institute Financial Management
- Bachelor of Education in Primary School / The School of Education
- Master of Learning and Innovation / The School of Education
- Bachelor of Nursing / The School of Medicine
- Bachelor of Midwifery / The School of Medicine
- Master of Advanced Nursing Practice / The School of Medicine
- Master in Finance and Accounting / Rotterdam Business School
- Bachelor of Fine Art / Willem de Kooning Academy
- Bachelor of Leisure Management / Willem de Kooning Academy
- Bachelor of Design / Willem de Kooning Academy
- Master of Fine Art / Willem de Kooning Academy
- Master of Media Design and Communication / Willem de Kooning Academy
- When contacting the School, please enclose valid proof of identity.
Just to be absolutely clear: it is not compulsory to have the degree title on your certificate amended. Degree titles awarded under the old system still retain their full legal validity and you will continue to benefit from all of the social rights conferred by the certificate you currently hold. If, however, you are (heavily) reliant on international contacts in your professional life, exchanging your current certificate for one showing your degree title under the new system may well prove useful.
If you have any questions, please get in touch with the designated contact of the School that runs your study programme.