Amendment of grade stated on certificate

    18 March 2016

    Did you graduate from one of the study programmes mentioned in this message between 1 September 2014 - 31 August 2015? Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences offers you a possibility to obtain a certificate with an international degree title instead of the specific Dutch degree title.

    In August 2015, the Dutch Minister of Education, Culture and Science decided to introduce a system of uniform nomenclature (degree titles) for certain Higher Professional study programmes in the Netherlands effective as of 1 September 2015. This was done in order to align Dutch degree titles with degree titles awarded around the world to graduates who successfully complete a Bachelor or Master programme, such as a ‘Bachelor of Arts’ or ‘Bachelor of Science’. The decision was published in the Dutch Government Gazette (Staatscourant) on 28 August 2015.

    The Minister also specified that anyone who, in any given year, successfully completed a Bachelor or Master programme that underwent a name change between 1 September 2014 and 31 August 2015, will be eligible to apply for a certificate showing the degree title under the new system. The updated certificate will be issued after handing in the certificate you already have, together with any academic transcripts still in your possession. The study programmes affected by the changes and their new degree titles can be found below.

    In order to receive a new certificate, you will need to do the following:

    Not compulsory

    Just to be absolutely clear: it is not compulsory to have the degree title on your certificate amended. Degree titles awarded under the old system still retain their full legal validity and you will continue to benefit from all of the social rights conferred by the certificate you currently hold. If, however, you are (heavily) reliant on international contacts in your professional life, exchanging your current certificate for one showing your degree title under the new system may well prove useful. 

    If you have any questions, please get in touch with the designated contact of the School that  runs your study programme.