The Willem de Kooning Academy, Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences offers a variety of bachelor and master programs in the field of visual culture, art, design, education in arts, and leisure management.
The curriculum of the Willem de Kooning Academy is founded in an interdisciplinary ethos through the Autonomous, Social and Commercial Practices. The Majors are the entry point of study for all Bachelor students; the Practices the interdisciplinary research contexts in the second half of the Bachelor programs; the highly unique Stations (advanced workshops focused on Research through Making) complete the three pillars of the institute.
Advertising & Beyond
The major has approximately 200 students and a small interdisciplinary teaching team. We believe creativity is the key that contributes to the future in a positive and meaningful way, effectively enhanced by science, technology, data and research. Advertising and Beyond educates a new generation of professionals who are engaged, critical, curious and able to relate to the public and clients from an artistic and independent point of view.
We teach students to develop a strong moral compass; they need to determine what’s most meaningful to them and become conscious of the power of their creative talent and how to apply it to influence society, today and in the future.
Therefore we teach students to become familiar with the tools of advertising and communication, such as research, conceptual thinking, branding, brand-activism, communication-strategy, media-strategy, target groups, storytelling, design and copywriting.
The Major Advertising and Beyond is looking for a Co-Course Leader to share the leadership and vision of the department. Someone who can both inspire and implement the education of students and who brings a contemporary perspective on the role of advertising within society. We are looking for someone who is working/has recently worked in the field of advertising, has the requisite leadership skills, has experience in higher art education and is interested in the development of new pedagogical approaches.
What you will be doing?
- Connecting vision to curriculum based on the Manifesto Advertising & Beyond and the educational vision of WdKA
- Leading and inspiring teaching team
- Planning out the course year for students and connecting to support teams
- Participate in group teaching
- Taking an active role in the development of the academy together with fellow course leaders
Who are we looking for:
- You have a passion for educating students from diverse backgrounds.
- You share our vision that advertising is fast changing and that we must educate future professionals that can be part of that change.
- You have a strong focus on effective and efficient organization.
- You are an able and empathetic communicator.
- You are interested and experienced in research based approaches to advertising.
- A master-level degree in fine art, design or a relevant program is a strong pro.
- You have a commitment to developing new forms education within the bachelor Advertising & Beyond program.
- An interest in project-based education and a willingness to participate in team teaching.
- EU/ECC work authorization.
- An excellent command of verbal and written English.
- Familiarity and an ability to engage with design communities in Rotterdam is a major asset.
We encourage very motivated creatives with unusual experience and diverse backgrounds and talents to apply. We would like to enlarge diversity within our team.
The successful candidates will be enthusiastic and thoughtful leaders who are interested in helping the Advertising & Beyond major to stay ahead of the developments in the creative practice. The ideal candidates will have a desire to grow in the position and take an active role in the life of the academy.
Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences offers a temporary contract, from September 1, 2021 to August 31, 2022, with the possibility for extension into a permanent contract. The salary ranges from € 3,658.64 minimum and € 5.717,25 maximum gross per month (salary scale 11 or 12 based on criteria set by the University) for a full-time employment, exclusive of additional 8% holiday pay and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. Secondary benefits include professional training opportunities and an attractive pension scheme.
All staff members of Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences must be able to submit a Certificate of Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag, VOG) issued by the Dutch Minister of Justice and Security.
WdKA likes to invest in motivated and well-trained employees. Working at WdKA means that you can use time and facilities (via unlimited access to our Stations) for professionalization. To further your pedagogical development you will be encouraged to undertake pedagogical courses i.e. BKE (Basis Kwalificatie Examinering) and Competency Assessment Course.
You may avail of a Hogeschool Rotterdam discount on your healthcare via Achmea and participate in a solid pension scheme.
Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences works with a limited travel reimbursement (maximum of 20 km).
- Letter of motivation
All documents should be written in English.
The selection procedure will take place in two phases. A short list of applicants will be drawn based on CV, Letter of motivation and portfolio, followed by interviews.
Informal enquiries about the position or the selection procedure can be directed to Hilary Buruma, email@example.com or Maarten van de Vijfeijken, firstname.lastname@example.org course leaders Advertising & Beyond.
Deadline for applications: June 17th 2021
Please do not use this vacancy as an acquisition opportunity.